At Harvest Oakville, we encourage parents to publicly dedicate their children to the Lord.
- Parents are acknowledging their child as a gift from God
- Parents are publicly declaring their intention to raise their child in such a way that they are given an opportunity to know God and to establish a personal relationship with Christ
(Deuteronomy 6:49, Ephesians 6:4).
- Parents are affirming their total dependence upon the Lord
- Parents are asking family, friends and the church community to prayerfully support and hold them accountable to these commitments
Steps for Child Dedication
- Dedicating parent(s) attend Party with the Pastors.
- Dedicating parent(s) have been attending Harvest Oakville regularly for at least six months.
- Dedicating parent(s) having successfully filled out and handed in the Child Dedication Application Form – email Paola at email@example.com for the form.
- Dedicating parent(s) attend the scheduled Child Dedication service.
Child Dedication FAQ
How does child dedication relate to salvation?
Dedicating a child does not impart salvation to the child. Salvation is the free gift of God given to someone who by faith trusts in Jesus Christ as their Saviour and Lord and turns from their sin.
Is child dedication like infant baptism?
Child dedication is also not baptism. Baptism is for believers—those who have already by faith trusted in Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of their sins—to publicly identify themselves with the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ through the symbolic act of being immersed in water
When does the dedication service happen?
We conduct separate child dedication services on Sunday afternoons at various points throughout our ministry year. This gives more families the opportunity to dedicate their children and allows us to take our time together in these services and to truly express our gratitude to God for the blessing of these children and our desire to see them experience Him
How is the ceremony formatted?
The dedication ceremony contains a time of worship, a brief message, a personal introduction, and prayer over each child being dedicated. Following our dedication services, we host a light reception for family and friends.
How can I register my child for dedication?
Please see the “Steps for Dedication” above.